Friday, September 27, 2013

School Time 9/18 - James and the Giant Peach

Paula tried again today. I went over and talked to Becca when she first started and explained that me and mommy needed to take turns, and that she needed to be a good sport with both me and mommy doing school time with her. I asked if she would be willing to let us take turns and she said yes.

They started with James and the Giant Peach again. Paula asked which character had more feet, the grasshopper or the centipede. Becca looked for a little while, then picked the centipede after a couple additional prompts. Then Paula asked which character couldn't see, the ladybug or the worm. After a couple additional prompts Becca chose the ladybug. Paula had her look at the worm and see he was wearing dark glasses because he couldn't see. Then Paula asked which character was a bug, James or the Spider. Becca chose the spider. In general she was answering questions but not very quickly and she didn't seem super engaged.

Next they worked on letters, D, H and F. Paula would show each letter to Becca and talk about some words that started with the letter. They went over the sounds. She attached all three to her clear plastic board and then asked Becca which letter matched the starting sound of different words (i.e. which letter does h-h-horse start with?). Becca chose H for horse and hat (together), D for dog, F for fish. She picked H and D very quickly, but F which was on the far side from where she was leaning her head. We gave her some additional sounds (family, food) and then she picked F.

After that Becca's sister wanted to show us her puppet show of the Three Little Pigs, so we watched that. Then we did a quick hand game and Becca perked up a lot.

After that I quizzed her on letter sounds one more time. I asked her what letter h-h-house (like the houses the wolf blew over) started with and she looked very quickly at H and back at me. Then I asked what letter d-d-down (like the houses fell down) and she looked very quickly at D and back at me. Then I asked what letter h-h-hippo started with and she looked at all the letters but wouldn't pick one. I prompted her a couple times before she looked at H and back at me. Then I asked her what letter f-f-fall (like the houses falling down) started with. After a delay she looked at F and back at me.


Then we called it good and ended school time for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment