Wednesday, September 25, 2013

School Time 9/5 - Comparing Snowmen

I asked Becca if she wanted to have "school time" with me again today. She said yes. We sat up at the kitchen table again, and I told her I wanted to make three snowmen with her. I asked if that sounded fun and she said yes. We had to pick different colors for the bodies, the eyes nose and mouth, the buttons, the hats and the arms and legs. Each time I would hold up two colors and ask Becca which she wanted. She wasn't super enthusiastic, but she would pick each time after a little while. Becca's sister was there watching and wanting to participate, and one time when I asked Becca looked right at her sister. I asked Becca if she wanted to let her sister pick the color this time and she said yes. Partway through I noticed that a couple times in a row Becca was picking whatever color was closer in her field of vision to my head (to "pick" a color I waited for Becca to look at a marker and then at me), so I started holding the markers one on each side of my head in her field of vision. After that she picked some from each side again.


Then I cut out the three snowmen and stuck them on a large flat board. There was one that was tall and skinny, a short fat female one (Becca's sister really wanted it to have girl hair) and a small one. Becca's sister called them a mommy, daddy and kid snowman. I asked Becca which one was the tallest. She looked at the mommy snowman and then at me. I said that one was tall, but the daddy one was even taller. I held her arm up to measure each snowman and see which one was the tallest. Then I asked her which one she thought was the happiest. She looked for a second or two at each of them, then at the mommy one and then at me with a big smile on her face. She would smile a lot for the mommy one, I think because it was pretty goofy-looking. The mommy one did have a big smile, incidentally it was a bigger smile than the other two. I then asked Becca which one was the smallest. She looked at the daddy one for a minute, then at the little kid one and back at me. I said it looked like she was picking the kid one, and that one was the smallest. We measured them all again. I asked Becca which one looked the hungriest and after a minute she looked at the daddy one and back at me. I said he was pretty tall and skinny, so he was probably pretty hungry. Then I asked Becca which one was the fattest. She looked right at the mommy one and at me with another smile. I asked her which one was looked the coldest to her. She looked right at the daddy then the daddy, then at me. I said she picked the daddy one, and that he probably was cold because he was so skinny, so even though he had a scarf it probably wasn't doing him much good. Then I asked which one had his arms up instead of down. She looked at the mommy for a minute, then the kid for a split second, then at the daddy and back at me. The daddy was the only snowman that had his arms up instead of down, and we traced all their arms. I asked if she wanted to be done and she said yes. We showed the snowmen to our mommy and Becca kept looking at the mommy snowman and smiling. It really was pretty silly-looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment