Wednesday, September 25, 2013

School Time 9/6 - Days of the Week

I asked Becca if she wanted to have "school time" and she said yes. I said we were going to work on the days of the week. I'd printed out the seven days of the week each with a slightly different color. We sang a song Becca's sister learned in school listing the days of the week. Then we'd take each day, one at a time, and try to come up with something special that happens that day. We'd tape them up on a plastic board and sing the song again. Sunday I asked if she wanted to draw a church and she said yes. Monday I said was her first day of school, so I asked if she wanted to draw a school bus and she said yes. I asked what day came after Monday, Tuesday or Saturday? She looked quickly at Tuesday and then back at me. I said Tuesday is the day grandma comes to visit, and asked if she wanted to draw a picture of grandma. She said yes after a minute. I asked what came after Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. She picked Thursday. We sang the song to check, then realized Wednesday came next. I told her to remember that Thursday was the next one so she'd be sure to get that one right. We had a hard time coming up with something for Wednesday. I suggested a tub since she usually has a bath on Wednesday, but she didn't want that. I suggested a show, or a piano since I play music sometimes for her -- she liked that. Then we had a big distraction with her siblings for a few minutes. 

After that I asked what came after Wednesday, Thursday or Saturday. She looked at Saturday and then at me. I said. I restated her choice like I always do, and she then quickly looked at Thursday and then back at me instead. Maybe she was remembering what I'd said and going back for the right answer. We had a hard time with Thursday too. I suggested her shoes -- she liked her shoes. After we drew her shoes I asked if she liked it and she wouldn't say yes. I asked if we should draw something else too and she said yes. I asked if we should draw food or a car or maybe outside -- she liked outside. I asked if we should draw grass -- yes. And maybe some flowers, or clouds, or the sun -- yes to the sun. Then we sang the song again.

I asked which came after Thursday, Friday or Saturday. She looked at Saturday and then back at me. I said Saturday was definitely the last day of the week. We sang the song again and saw that Friday comes first. For Friday I mentioned that she swims at school and asked if she wanted to draw the pool. She said yes immediately. For Saturday I said we get to spend the day at home as a family, does she want to draw our family. She said yes.

Then I said I wanted to see if she remembered which day was which. Did she want to try showing me? She said yes.

I asked which day we go to church. She looked right at Sunday and then back at me. I asked which day was the last day of the week. She would only look at the first four days of the week, and she wan't picking any. I finally pointed her up to Saturday and she looked at it. I asked which day of the week was Tuesday and she looked right at Tuesday and back at me. I asked what was Friday. She would only look at the first four again. I eventually pointed to Friday and she looked over there. I asked which day was the first day of the week she went to school and she looked right at Monday and back at me. I asked her why she wasn't wanting to look at one side of the plastic board. I asked her which day she got to wear her shoes and she looked right at Thursday and back at me. That's the first time she would pick from that side of the board. I asked which day we spend as a whole family and she looked all over the board except at Saturday. I eventually pointed to Saturday and she looked at it.


I could tell she was starting to get tired so I let her have a turn. I'd hold the board backwards with her face in the middle and ask a question in a silly voice, then turn around and answer it.

No comments:

Post a Comment